Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cut Down Bennett Vectors

#skateboarding #Pennyskateboards #Fishskateboards #Bennett #Vectors
The other day I finished my cut down Bennett Vectors.  I wanted some that would fit a Penny or Fish deck.  I have a purple Fish Skateboards deck that I think I will put them on but for now I threw this setup together because I wanted to ride them and didn't have the panhead hardware I wanted to use with them and the purple deck.
This setup is a Fish deck, the Vectors, cut down to have a 3" hanger and 6" axle, Penny wheels, Bones Reds and Riptide bushings.  It felt tall and tippy.  I feel like some less restrictive bushings will help that.  I already changed the Riptide chubbies and barrels to a set of medium nipples.  It feels much better, really quick.  I might even go softer with the bushings, at least in the front.
Kingsalojr from Instagram asked what tools I used so here we go.  I will say that I did not do this the easy way.  Better tools would make it easier, but I have done 3 sets of trucks this way so it works.  THe only things not in the photo are a Dremel, sharpie and a c-clamp.  Below is an idea of the steps I use.
1.  pound axles out of hangers with hammer(make sure they are pressed in axles, not cast in)
2.  cut axles and hangers down to size.  I have used the dremel for this in the past but I think it is just as easy and makes a nicer cut with the hacksaw.To get the hangers cut straight I put them in the vice and cut across the top of it.
3.  Hard part.  Threading the axles.  I taper the end of the axle with the dremel(if no dremel, use a file for this, will work the same just take a little longer) then put the axle in the vice really tight.  Then take the 5/16ths 24 tpi die and sweat and curse and lean and turn until I have about a half inch or so threaded.  I don't have one of those 2 handled wrenches for the die so I used a big c-clamp to make it easier to turn.
4.  With a file, I flatten and clean up the ends of the hangers.
5.  Pound hanger back in.
6.  Assemble truck, you are done.
Some of those steps might be a little over simplified but you get the idea.  As you can see, you cant get a much more haphazard set of tools to do this with than I do so this should be easier if you have access to some better stuff, but is completey doable with next to nothing.

2 comments:

  1. thanks man it helps me out a lot :D
    i'm thinking about starting a blog myself for german/austrian readers!
    but i'm not sure cause it's taking a lot of time x)
    greez kingsalojr

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be able to go very soft with the bushings.

    ReplyDelete