Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Penny Grip Tape


The other day I picked up a piece of the Penny grip tape that I have seen around lately.


It was a little pricy at the local shop, but looking around its not very expensive online.


Penny has a cool idea, marking the bottom in a diamond pattern so you can cut out shapes that will match the diamond pattern of the deck


I finally got around to putting it on today.


Before anything else, I had to stencil and spray paint my dogs logo on it for good measure.


The old grip came off easy.  Usually I will leave the deck in the sun for a little while to soften up the grip to make it easier to peel off.  That wasn't necessary on the Penny, I guess because there is just less surface area for it to stick to.  I had Jessup on the deck previously, and it did leave a little stick residue behind, no big deal its getting covered right away again.


The pre-cut holes didn't match up perfectly, but for the ease of not having to take the trucks off to apply grip tape, I can live with that.  I will update after a few weeks of riding when I have a feel for how well it grips and holds up.


6 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm interested in swapping trucks for my stereo. Have no idea how to contact you so here goes... What trucks can I use(besides the penny ones) that require absolutely no modifications at all? Seen a few tracker mid tracks but I guess that requires drilling?
    Tell me what you think?

    Cheers
    Your blog is so informative man...


    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my experience I have had to do a little drilling, not new holes, but open up 2 of the 4 holes for each truck with any trucks other than the stock Stereo or Penny. Some people have said they can force the bolts through and make it work without drilling but I have not personally seen that work. Its very light drilling, but I understand not wanting to take power tools to your board. If you do though you can then use any old school drilled trucks like the Midtracks. And I think its worth it. The Midtracks work great on these boards.
    Thanks for the nice words, if you have any more specific questions let me know, and let me know what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Thanks for the reply. I'm alright with doing a little bit of modifications to the deck. What other trucks could I use beside the tracker midtracks? And what about the baseplates? I've seen yours with different baseplates is that necessary? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions. Also if you could post pictures of how you actually did the holes to accomodate the truck baseplates it would be great(or links if you've already had those) it'd be of really great help. I am about to make a big decision on my board and you're the key to it!!!

    Cheers and keep doing what you do!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used Midracks, Surf-Rodz Indeesz, and Ace00 as replacement trucks for Penny/Vinyl/Fish replacement trucks.
    The Midtracks and Indeesz and drilled for new and old school(6 holes) so you don't have to mess with the baseplates. The Ace00 are only drilled for new school so you have to either drill out the baseplates(this sucks) or get some Independent Downhill Baseplates(6 hole) and Use the Ace hangers with them.
    Ill get some pics up, I cant remember if I have posted any detailed pics of the holes after they were drilled or not.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds great! I guess I'll get the midtracks!

    Looking forward to see the pictures soon.

    Cheers!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just put up some pics of the holes drilled. They are in the July 11 post.

      Delete