Sunday, June 24, 2012

Penny Vs. Globe Bantam Vs. Nickel

Because there is a crazy storm over florida now I haven't been able to skate or take any photos for a few days.  So here are some old ones that i took around the time I got the Globe Bantam and never got around to posting.  Just some comparison pics of a Penny, a Globe Bantam and a Nickel.  THere is more detail on my thoughts on the Bantam on this post:  
and a lot more detail on my thoughts about the Penny and Nickel in lots of posts.


All three are fun.  Since this pic, I have switched the Nickel's trucks over to 100mm Surf Rods and put Penny Wheels on it, just like the Penny.  This has made it ride just about perfect for me.  I have also swapped out the Bantams trucks a few times and am having trouble finding something just right.  I have Ace 00s hangers in Indy baseplates now and they are okay, but its still just not there yet.  


I did put a sheet of grip tape on the Globe as well.  I am of the opinion that grip tape is needed on any of these plastic skateboards.  Everyone I get I try it for a while without and it never feels right.  I do ride the Penny and Nickel more than the Bantam so far, but who knows if that will change when I find the perfect trucks for the Bantam.  


8 comments:

  1. Based on your comments (and Nicole's) I'm seriously considering a Nickel for myself. No shops arond here to look at them, so I have to ask you; Does the Nickel have a standard hole pattern, or the same as the Penny's?
    Thanks for your time,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Nickel is drilled for standard old school mounting. It is a fun board, if you go with it, let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, pls can you tell me.. you dont have stock trucks on that penny classic, dont you? I'm considering to buy penny or that bantam for cruising around the town or for some little downhills carving.. i have little experience with longboard. how is turning on bantam against penny? when that bantam has bigger trucks..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bantam is slightly bigger in all ways, wheels trucks and deck. Stock the Bantam is considerably less turny mostly because of really stiff bushings. A quick bushing change makes them much closer. It might be a little easier to get used to the bantam because it is a little wider, but really, get the one you like better. They are close enough that you will adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think im goin to penny, will ride it in stock from begin, no monay.. and penny is slightly lighter on weight :) now im goin to check where can i bought it cheapiest way :) thank you nice blog btw!!! keep goin

    ReplyDelete
  6. and btw is it possible to slide on penny in higher speed to stop it? couldnt find that on youtube nowhere

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, and sure you can slide to stop. It takes some getting used to on a small board and grip tape helps, but you will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i already ordered original penny, but what about that organic? i mean if there is any cruising differencies.. its only more flexible and you can grow flowers from that deck? :D

    ReplyDelete