Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Go away Debby the Storm or the Kryptonics Torpedo


The Kryptonics Torpedo, this is the kind of thing that happens when we can not go skateboarding.
So, some friends and I were eating lunch at a Wing House.  It was next to a Wal-Mart.  I usually try to avoid Wal-marts but I was bored and the weather is not going to be better any time soon so lets go see what they sell.
I saw this.  It was funny.  So I got it.  Before anyone asks, No I do not recommend this skateboard to anyone for any reason.

Kryptonics Torpedo.


Kryptonics branded trucks and wheels.  Also, the weird undersized mounting hardware that means toy, not skateboard.


MAX RIDER WEIGHT 110lbs.  That is silly.


I took it for a ride in the wind between rains and it is pretty bad.  I will go again for a longer ride with a wrench in my pocket to do some adjusting, but it doesn't really turn.  I expected it to be too turny because I am so much over the weight limit.  It was cheap and it felt cheap.  
 So the whole thing is kind of silly.  I am all for more companies making plastic skateboards, but a 110lb weight limit makes this an unusable toy for most any of us.  If someone buys this for a really young kid and is sparks interest in skateboarding and they graduate to better equipment than that is awesome.  I feel it would do the opposite most of the time though, it would be much easier and much more fun to learn on equipment that is a little better.  This just might frustrate kids and make them think skateboarding is harder than it really is.  I also hope no one sees this and because it is plastic like a Penny and shaped kind of like a Penny, that it is the same as a Penny.   For me, this will just end up on the wall as a conversation piece.  





5 comments:

  1. I wondered about that weight limit too. Does it flex any more than a Penny or a Vinyl? I've got a little daughter that is only around 50 lbs. Is the hardware at least standard sized so it can be upgraded later?
    Thanks,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not a big difference in flex, I'm about 170 and it feels fine under me, I would have no worries about putting your daughter on it. It is still more of a toy than some other boards. If it were me, I would consider the Stereo Vinyl cruiser instead. If you look around online you can find them for $60-65. I think it is worth the extra $20-25. I dont suggest the Stereo very often because the wheels feel too soft but your daughter is so light that that should not matter.
    If you do go with the Kryptonics, it is just as upgradable as any other plastic board with the exception of grip tape. The raised parts of the deck are more sparse than the Penny/Stereo/Fish so grip tape will not go on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weight limit is probably just for legal issues, I am sure these boards are made in the same chinese factory as other brands. I also picked one up for the hell of it, and noticed that the bushings are rock hard plastic, that's why it doesn't turn. Swapped them out with some real ones and better bearings and it is pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. should I get the stereo vinyl? i weight about 80 pounds

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are looking for Kryptonics Torpedo Skateboards you can check detailed reviews at https://www.kryptonicstorpedoreviews.com/

    ReplyDelete