Thursday, June 27, 2013

70mm wheels on a Penny Nickel

Holy Cow, these wheels are big and bright.  I finally got around to mounting the 70mm Orangatang 4Presidents that I got last week.  I put them on a Nickel with Independent 109s.  I didn't use any risers, expecting that I would add them later, but so far I don't think I am going to.  I took it out for a little while at night and then some more the next day.  There was a little footbite here and there, but nothing too bad.


I had 60mm wheels on the Nickel before, so this is a decent jump in size.  The differences mild but noticeable.  Seems a little taller, but because the 4presidents are pretty wide it doesn't feel tippy at all.  Also, it seems to carry speed a little better.  That probably has some to do with the size, but also that they are a little harder than the wheels they replaced.  That makes them a little louder but my roads are pretty smooth so not too much.  


I don't think wheels this big are going to become my standard, mostly because the roads and sidewalks around here are pretty nice.  That said, I would absolutely go to 70mm wheels on a Nickel if you have a problem with rough streets, although I would probably get them a little softer than these.  







3 comments: