Friday, January 06, 2012

Orangatang Bushings

These are the most inappropriate bushings I own.  Orangatang Nipples.  Why would they name them that? Another question I have is  what am I missing about the logo?  Are those eyes?  Are they Nipples?  Nipples would make more sense because why would the be called nipples and have eyes on them for a logo?  But if that is the case, why would the nipples have eyebrows?  Not trying to brag but I have seen some nipples before, sober,  and none of them have had eyebrows.  None.

I will say two things about these bushings though.  One, the packaging amused me.  Two they felt awesome.  I immediately put them in the 100mm Surf-Rodz Indeesz that I have on my Penny.  They felt awesome, I SAID.  I had red Khiro barrels boardside and red Khiro tall inserts Roadside.  They felt really good.  These Nipples are about the same durometer, 89a vs the Khiro 90a.  Maybe is because they seem a little softer but there is more material, but I like them a lot.  I am going to have to try the other hardnesses and try them in some other trucks and see what happens.  
The yellows I got are 89a
purple are 87a
orange are 85a
and I measured them at 1" across, short ones are 9/16" tall and tall ones are 5/8"
they also come with some washers with the eye/nipple logo stamped all around them.  Maybe it is supposed to be a 6?  Or the g from their logo?  anyway the washers are 1/16" thick and 1" across.

6 comments:

  1. Don't worry, it's the "g" from the orangatang logo. No exposed nipples! haha
    Btw, the bird on the packaging is a Blue Footed Booby...yes, the bird is called a BOOBY. Oh Orangatang, you and clever little puns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good info. And it is clever marketing. And they ride really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I just bought the soft nipple bushings, and I tried putting them on my Penny board.. But they don't fit! Is there anything you suggest? I really want these on this board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could either:
    switch out the trucks to some with longer or easier to change kingpins-medium difficulty, only because you will have to make the trucks fit, but costs the most
    or
    pound out the penny trucks kingpins and find a way to get a 1/4" longer kingpin in there-doable but much harder because for some reason I feel like a regular hardware store kingpin isnt going to fit into that baseplate, Ill check later, but fairly cheap
    or
    trim the nipples down to size-pretty hard but free
    or
    Use either top or bottom of the nipples and a shorter bushing of another brand together on each truck-really easy and pretty cheap

    there are probably more workarounds, but thats what i could think of off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Well looks like there are a lot of ways around it, actually what I did when I saw the nipple bushings didn't fit was just exactly what you mentioned: I put the bigger (bottom) nipple bushings, and the smaller top Penny bushings on the Penny trucks.

    How would I actually go about trimming the bushings so they both fit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you figure out an easy way let me know. I split a handfulI of Khiros once to use them a bushing and a half to replace bennetts big red rubbers. I tried a razor blade on a couple, that really sucked. I also tried a dremel, a little easier but you have to go really really slow.

    ReplyDelete