Saturday, November 19, 2011

Old Rat Nuts and New Rails Do Not Work Together

Was getting ready to mount my recently purchased Powell Peralta Rib Bones on my Vallely Reissue.  I wanted to use an old pack of Powell Peralta Rat Nuts I had.  No good.  The counterbored part of the hole in the rail is too small for the head of the bolt to fit in.  Making the holes bigger wont work because the head of the bolt is almost as wide as the rail so there would not be much/any rail left where the bolts are.
Sooooooo.... I guess  I will use the screws that come with it unless I can find some drywall screws around here to put through and cut off.  I wanted to use the Rat Nuts so I would not have to regrip the deck.  I guess I will just be careful not to go through with the drill and use the supplied screws.



These were sold as these kits to stop your deck from delaminating, so that may be why the head is wide. I would think that rails were just that much wider in the 80, and they used these same bolts for the plastics though.

1 comment:

  1. You just go to Lowes and find some with smaller heads & same thread that will go through the rail into the female..

    ReplyDelete